27 students from 16 universities attended the first of four events dedicated to their personal development.
The BUCS Student Leadership Programme, delivered by Sporting People and supported by CIMSPA, focuses on the eight areas of the BUCS Student Leadership Framework:
- Problem-solving and innovative thinking
- Planning and implementing
- Personal development
- Developing people
- Communication and influence
- Self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
The day focussed on teamwork and developing people. Students were challenged to explore what great leadership looks like. Interactive tasks prompted the students to consider different leadership styles, what team cohesion looks like, and how they can create a positive environment.
Each student has a mentor from their institution who offers guidance when putting new skills into practice and supports their growth as a leadership figure.
Before the next day of the programme, student leaders were tasked with reflecting on their own leadership style, how they can put this into practice, and what they can do to support the development of their team.
Upcoming dates for the BUCS Student Leadership Programme are:
- Sunday 29 March, Loughborough University
- Sunday 10 May, Manchester Metropolitan University
- Sunday 7 June, Loughborough University