25 January 2022
Entry Closing Dates
ENTRY CLOSING DATE
11:59pm on Tuesday 15 February 2021 - Student/Competitor Deadline
(Students/Competitors must apply by this deadline)
11:59pm on Thursday 17 February 2021 - Institution Administrator Approval Deadline
(Institutional Administrators are given 48 hours after the student/competitor deadline to approve entries)
“Stage 2” will be opened on 18 February 2022 for the addition of reserves only and will remain open until 11:59pm on Tuesday 1 March 2022.
PLEASE NOTE: This deadline is different to the usual Thursday closing of BUCS Play events to enable institutions to add reserve players (and subsequently make substitutions) for the duration of the team element of the event
Men’s teams are to be made up of either five or six players, with five to play in any given match.
The number of teams accepted may have to be limited to 80 and preference will be given to first teams, then second teams, etc then to institutions highest in the competition rankings. For example, if 100 entries are received comprised of 50 first teams, 25 second teams, 15 third teams and 10 fourth teams then all of the first teams, all of the second teams and the five highest-ranked institutions’ third teams would be accepted (with the sixth-highest ranked institution’s third team being first reserve, the seventh-highest ranked institution’s third team being second reserve, etc).
Women’s teams are to be made up of either three or four players, with three to play in any given match. There will be no limit on the number of women’s teams accepted into the event.
If your institution enters multiple teams, other than in exceptional circumstances players ascribed to a particular team will unable to compete for any lower ranked team in the tournament. As such, please make your team selections carefully. Players may be moved up from a lower to a higher ranked team (e.g. seconds to firsts) or from the reserve list into a team.
Please note, everyone must enter as an individual even if you are competing in the team events. Each captain must email the UPC their team selection before the event.
Competitor withdrawals must be made by a competitor’s Institution Admins by Notifications of withdrawal and any substitution requests must be emailed to the Tournament Director, Daniel Turner, with BUCS Event Administrator, James Francis, CCed prior to the start of competition.
Withdrawals before the entry deadline, Thursday 17 February at 11:59pm [Stage 1] will not be charged.
Withdrawals after the entry deadline, Thursday 17 February at 11:59pm [Stage 1] will still be charged the entry fee.
Changes made after the entry deadline but before the publication of the draw will be subject to a surcharge of £10 per player. Any changes made after the publication of the draw will be subject to a surcharge of £20 per player. Substitutions will only be accepted if the proposed competitor is listed on the reserve list downloaded from BUCS Play.
The safety of students, volunteers and staff remains paramount as we move into the 2021-22 season, therefore for the time being we will still be implementing a series of COVID-19 Measures at our events. Although certain safety measures surrounding COVID-19 will be dictated by a venue or specific sport requirements we will be continuing to implement the following general measures across all of our events.
- Event Disclaimer includes specifics around COVID-19
- Whist inside staff members and volunteers interacting with competitors will be wearing appropriate face coverings
- COVID-19 questionnaire completed prior to arrival at the event by all competitors, officials, volunteers and support staff.
- Access to hand-washing facilities, or hand sanitiser
What’s expected of competitors:
- Event competitors should stay home if they have been diagnosed with, or suspected to have COVID-19
- Event competitors are expected to test if they have any COVID-19 symptoms or live in the same household with someone with COVID-19 symptoms prior to attending an event
- Competitors should stay home if they have been instructed to quarantine/self isolate due to international travel restrictions or by relevant home nation test and trace systems
- Competitors must follow direction from event staff, venue staff and volunteers.
- Competitors must complete COVID-19 questionnaire prior to arrival at the event
- Competitors should ensure they are following hand hygiene practices at all times
- Competitors are encouraged to wear a face covering when indoors and moving about the building
- Competitors should follow the guidance and safety procedures outlined for the event you are attending. These can be found in the Event Guide
- Competitors unable to attend event due to COVID-19 must contact the event lead
Lateral Flow Tests and Vaccine Status
- For some events, dependent on local council recommendations or venue requirements we may require proof of negative PCR or rapid lateral flow tests within the last 24 hours or proof of being fully vaccinated for at least 2 weeks.
- If this is required it will be detailed in the entry information and the event guide for that event
Whilst we are very much hoping to be able to deliver a full calendar there is always the possibility that changing guidance around COVID-19 might impact this or lead to changes to our event formats or delivery models. We will endeavour to ensure regular communication regarding any changes.
The Eight Ball Championships will take place in the following locations:
- Longton Snooker Club, 37 Normacot Road, Stoke-on-Trent, ST3 1PL
- Players Pool & Snooker Lounge, 10 Queens Parade, Newcastle-under-Lyme, ST5 1RW
- Plaza Snooker & Pool Club, 147 King Street, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 3NA
- each player will be denoted a venue as part of the draws UPC publish for day one of the event, and no player will have to change venues that day.
- The UPC will notify venue allocations for subsequent days by no later than the evening before via their social media platform found here, as well as via PA system announcements in the venues.
- no player will have to change venue more than one time on day two of the event, and we will allow a minimum of one hour for changeovers.
- no player will have to change venue more than one time on day three of the event, and we will allow a minimum of one hour for changeovers.
- no player will have to change venues on day four of the event.