The aim of Brookes Sport is to create an environment where teams and individuals are supported to succeed, and maintain our national BUCS ranking (30-39th place).
All Brookes Sport sports clubs are recognised under the TEAMBrookes banner. TEAMBrookes encapsulates 35+ affiliated sports clubs, with in excess of 2,200 student-athlete members.
TEAMBrookes sports clubs are supported, administered and regulated by Brookes Sport staff and external practitioners, comprised of:
- Student Sport Manager
- Student Sport Coordinator
- Student Sport Assistant - Graduate
- Head of Strength & Conditioning
- Strength & Conditioning Coach(es)
- Sports Psychologist
- Personal Development Advisor
Whilst TEAMBrookes sports clubs are principally student-led (student committee), Brookes Sport employs sports coaches to train and recruit players, and enact sport-specific strategy.
The Women’s Hockey Head Coach is line-managed by the Student Sport Manager.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
To lead the coaching programme for the OBU Hockey Club’s Women’s 1st team and support the development of the OBU Hockey Club, to allow them to compete to the best of their abilities in the BUCS weekly fixture programme and beyond, contributing to our strategic aims of creating an environment where teams & individuals are supported to succeed, and maintaining our national BUCS ranking (30-39th place).
Principal duties and responsibilities:
1) Performance Programme
- To develop, manage and lead on the delivery of an effective performance coaching programme for the OBU Hockey Club’s Women’s 1st team, allowing student-athletes to perform to the best of their abilities. This is to include both group and individual technical and tactical coaching, 1 to 1/small group feedback sessions, and the creation of programmes for pre-season, in-season and off-season.
- To work with the Student Sport Manager in ensuring that the Women's 1st team squad is receiving appropriate and relevant access to Brookes Sports’ range of support services (where available), including sport science, strength and conditioning, nutritional support and physiotherapy, liaising with all partners on a regular basis.
- To work with the Student Sport Manager in managing the programmes of the highest performance athletes in collaboration with their external clubs/performance programmes to ensure they are receiving the highest quality of experience and allowing them to perform to the best of their ability for OBU.
- Lead on the development and implementation of a sport-specific fair and efficient talent identification system.
- To mentor Assistant Coaches within the club and work with the Student Sport Manager in the recruitment of coaches and support of interns where appropriate.
- Work in partnership with other Brookes Sport staff members and the club committee to ensure optimal development of the sport at the university.
- To act as partnership conduit between the Brookes Sport staff and external practitioners, OBU Hockey Club, and external partners.
2) Other Duties
- Work with other Brookes Sport sports coaches to share best practice and information and make recommendations for wider service improvements.
- To contribute towards education, training and research initiatives.
- To update Brookes Sport staff and external practitioners via team briefings and updates on business undertaken and developments proposed.
To support a collaborative team-working environment.
Selection criteria - Essential experience:
- Experience of coaching talented female hockey players.
- Proven hockey coaching ability.
- Knowledge of current coaching and training processes
- Excellent communication, player management and motivation skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- IT skills necessary for analysis, report writing and general 3 communication.
Selection criteria - desirable:
- Hockey Level 2 qualification
- Knowledge of and understanding of the Women’s Hockey Landscape; talent pathway and University Women’s hockey.
- Experience of coaching at BUCS / RTC level
- Full, clean driver’s licence
For more information please see the role description here.
How to Apply:
Brookes Sport is looking for a Women’s Head Coach for our Hockey Club who is dedicated, driven and enthusiastic about developing individuals and teams to perform to the best of their ability. The Head Coach will be responsible for coaching the 1st team primarily, but also to support the implementation of a consistent training and squad selection approach for all women’s teams.
The position will require the candidate to be available for weekly technical coaching September 2022 until March 2023:
- Monday evenings (times TBC)
- ‘Wednesday afternoons’ for BUCS fixtures
The ideal candidate will:
- Work towards performance targets agreed with the Brookes Sport and the Oxford Brookes University Hockey Club committee.
- Be able to provide structured technical coaching that will enable the players to improve and the teams to achieve their best possible outcomes in the BUCS leagues.
- Be responsible for team selection in consultation with the team captains and vice-captains.
- Attend BUCS Wednesday fixtures.
- Coordinate with Brookes Sport in order to improve team performance and ensure continuity with the wider element of support offered (including player recruitment, shadowing opportunities for budding coaches, and sports science support including strength & conditioning programming).
Ideally, candidates should have experience coaching and/or playing to a high level.
Remuneration between £30-£35 per hour, subject to experience (estimated total of £5,000 per season).
Only applications received before 23:30 on Sunday 24th July 2022 will be considered.
Interviews are anticipated to take place on Thursday 11th August 2022 (consisting of a sit down question & answer portion, as well as an on-pitch session).
For an informal discussion about the role, or to apply, please send a CV and covering letter (max 300 words) via email to:
Marcus Boswell, Student Sport Manager, Brookes Sport:
M: +44 (0) 7436 536 653