The successful candidates will take the role for one Summer World University Games cycle from appointment through to the end of the Games.
The successful candidates will also be encouraged to support the BUCS domestic programme during their tenure.
The World University Games are staged every two years, however as a result of the Covid-19 Pandemic the 2021 Games have been postponed to 2022. The next World University Winter Games are being held in Chengdu, China between 26 June – 7 July 2022.
The Summer Games are one of the largest multi-sports events in the world. The event sees around 10,000 participants competing across 15 sports, from more than 150 countries. The Games represent an experience akin to a Commonwealth Games or an Olympics/Paralympics in terms of scale, village life and competition standard. It is anticipated that Great Britain will send a delegation of around 200 people to the Summer Games.
The appointed Medical Officers are expected to be available for the event and pre-event acclimatisation period and the GB Students Briefing Meeting (1-2 days, 2-3 months in advance of the Games).
• To participate in pre-event planning of equipment and supplies in conjunction with the Chief Medical Officer
• To act as medical escort for GB Students members during travel/transit
• To provide a high-quality medical service to GB Students delegation members during the event - in a clinic setting, pitch-side/field of play, and on-call
• To liaise as required with local medical and emergency staff
• To maintain such information on treatment as required to provide accurate reports and records
• To liaise with the Chief Medical Officer on a regular basis regarding duties and to feedback any issues that arise
• Experience of delivering medical support to athletes and teams at elite competition level
• Current full GMC registration
• Professional indemnity with a recognised provider of medical insurance e.g. MDU, MPS covering work in the countries visited for the purposes of providing medical cover to the GB Students delegation
• Either possess or be working towards a postgraduate qualification (Membership, Diploma or Masters degree) in Sport and Exercise Medicine
• To be able to demonstrate a regular clinical commitment to sports medicine
• To hold a current and valid certificate in emergency care (REMO, SCRUMCAPS, PSITCC, ALS, or ATLS or equivalent)
Desirable Qualifications/ Experience:
• To have demonstrated commitment to BUCS by providing medical support to the BUCS domestic programme
• Experience of multi-sport events (either on behalf of a Local Organising Committee, or more preferably as an accredited member of a participating nation)
Essential Personal Attributes:
• Ability to work both as a team player and individually when required
• Willing to work long and sometimes unsociable hours
• Ability to respond to queries in a timely manner
• Flexible and conscientious approach to work
• Stability of performance under pressure/when being opposed
• Can identify and respond to stress in self and others
• Work effectively in a stressful environment under time and resource pressure
• Ability to make strategic decisions for the good of the team under the constraints of patient confidentiality
• Ability to act quickly and independently
• Ability to refer decisions to appropriate higher authority
• Understanding of the extra pressures that an away Games will add to athletes and staff
The post-holder will act in accordance with the BUCS Team Members’ Agreement and Code of Conduct.
This is an honorary position, although travel and subsistence costs will be paid (where not otherwise provided).
Application Candidates should send a CV and Covering Letter (including details of two referees) to [email protected].
Candidates should also complete the survey available via the 'apply now' link, prior to the application deadline.
Interviews will take place on the afternoon of Wednesday 10 November 2021.
The deadline for applications is 1700 on 1 November 2021.
If you have any queries or would like to discuss the role further, please contact Louise Robiati (CMO).
Please contact [email protected] if you have any issues with the application process.