You need to make sure that you take your gym membership out at your institution of study or work to access this scheme. Please check with your institution which memberships they are offering on this scheme, as it may vary between institution. This could include those on monthly, termly and annual memberships.
There are a few simple things you need to do when visiting another gym:
- Check the UNIversal Gym map to see which facilities you can use and be aware of any restrictions that may be in place before your first visit. You may need to book your gym visit online prior to your visit.
- Make sure you have your UNIversal Gym membership card from your institution before you visit another gym.
- When you arrive, speak to a gym staff member and let them know you are part of the UNIversal Gym membership scheme.
- If it is your first visit, you may be asked to complete a Health Commitment Statement and gym induction.
- Check any local and university COVID-19 restrictions.
The most important thing to remember is to pack your institution student card or staff ID as well as your UNIversal Gym membership card. If you don't have both cards, it could mean you can get refused entry.
You'll need to pick up your card from your institution of study or work. It is best to speak to a member of gym staff at your institution as you will need this card to access other facilities.
The scheme runs from 1 September 2020 – 31 August 2021. This is a fixed period, regardless of the date you start your membership or when you pick up your card.
Yes you can.
If you are paying monthly payments, you’ll need to pick up a UNIversal Gym membership card for each month you plan to access other facilities. The same will apply if you have a monthly membership. If you pay for your annual peak membership a different way (for example every six months) then you'll need to get a new card when your second six month payment has been made.
Your gym membership must be taken out at your institution of study or work in order to gain access to this membership scheme.
There are restrictions in place where there are institution gyms in close proximity.
If your institution of study or work is within close proximity to another facility then you will not be able get access through this scheme. This is to help prevent gyms with potential overcrowding. Please ensure you check individual institution restrictions!
All UNIversal Gyms can be found on the UNIversal Gym map. Click on the pins on the map to get details of locations and facilities you can access.
My institution is NOT currently listed as being part of the scheme, can I still access the UNIversal Gym membership?
Unfortunately not. Your institution has to be part of the scheme for you to be able to access this membership.