The key focus areas are:
- High quality participation and competition structures
- Supporting and empowering student clubs
- Providing greater opportunities to talented players to help them through the pathway
- Develop partnerships between institutions and community hockey
- Development of umpires, volunteers and coaches
- Raise the profile of university hockey to increase the sporting profile.
BUCS works with its Hockey Student Advisory Group, Hockey England, Hockey Scotland and Hockey Wales to help achieve these goals and create best hockey experience in member universities.