About the job
The successful applicant will take on the role for one World University Games cycle, from appointment through to March 2021, and may be reappointed for an additional cycle dependent on performance. It is intended that the successful applicant will be of a calibre to potentially undertake the role of Chef de Mission at future Games.
BUCS are seeking an experienced individual with a strong track-record in sports leadership at an international level. Candidates should be available for the event and pre-event acclimatisation period (dates TBC, but roughly the middle of January to 2nd February 2021), the Heads of Delegation meeting (Lucerne/remote 7-12 September 2020), the GB Students Briefing Meeting (1 day, UK, late-November 2020 – TBC) and a series of planning and preparatory meetings from appointment to event.
Owing to the ongoing Covid-19 situation, there are many elements of uncertainty in the size of delegation that GB Students will be sending to the 2021 WUGs. If the outcome is that a significantly smaller delegation than planned attends the 2021 Winter WUGs, a Deputy Chef de Mission may not be required. At this stage, we are working towards sending a full delegation and so are proceeding with recruitment for this role. All applicants will be updated as soon as possible if there are any changes to this situation.
The successful candidate will play an active role in the pre-Games planning and organisation of GB Students and assist with the management of the delegation at the Games with the major objective of enabling the delegation to maximise its performance levels.
For the full position description, please click here.
Pre-Games (shall include but not be limited to):
- To participate in pre-Games planning
- Attend the Heads of Delegation meeting
- To assist in the induction/orientation of Team Managers and Coaches
- To attend and play an active role in the delivery of all Team Briefings
Games Time (shall include but not be limited to):
- Establish a strong working relationship with the Local Organising Committee
- To support the Chef de Mission and deputise as required
- Participate in meet and greet procedures
- To attend daily Chef de Mission meetings as required
- Conduct a daily Team Managers’ meeting
- To attend formal functions as a representative of GB Students
- To support the delegation planning and logistics to create a high-performance environment
- To be the main point of contact for Team Managers in respect of sports-specific issues
- To encourage the support of GB Students athletes during competition by other members of the delegation
- To lead and support sports appeals and sports disciplinary issues (if required)
- To help develop and monitor performance indicators for participating sports
- To undertake other duties as delegated by the Chef de Mission
- To implement and act in accordance with BUCS policy, procedure and priorities in liaison with the BUCS International Performance Manager
- To produce a detailed post-event report, in conjunction with the Chef de Mission and BUCS International Performance Manager
Candidates should send a CV and Covering Letter (including details of two referees) to GBStudents@bucs.org.uk.
The deadline for applications is 23:59 on Wednesday 15 July 2020.
Please contact Christopher Purdie with any queries in respect of the role (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We will appoint this position from application, if possible.
Interviews, if required, will take place on a date to be advised through an online platform such as Microsoft Teams.