Our mission is to positively enhance, and change lives through our sport, fitness and physical activity offering which currently services over 4,000 student, staff and public members. The Sports Development team have the responsibility to deliver a transformational experience through exciting and engaging activities to encourage as many students, staff and public to get active and play sport. This isn't just about providing activities for the already fit and active and sporty, it is also about encouraging those that might be less likely to engage in physical activity.
RFU University Partnership
In 2016, the University of Essex became one of only 13 HEI's to achieve Rugby Football Union (RFU) University partner status with an agreed mutual commitment to develop and grow student rugby at Essex and take on an enhanced role in the East region and local community.
The Rugby 7's is becoming an official focus performance sport, and the rugby offer at Essex has significantly advanced. Some key achievements have included:
* Promotion of both Men's and Women's teams in BUCS Leagues - Men's to South Eastern 1A and Women's to South Eastern 2A
* Growth in rugby workforce with two new student rugby activator positions created to deliver on partnership KPI's * 4 Essex Students selected for the England Students Rugby 7s squad.
* Creation of the University's first ever Men's XV 3rd development team
* The introduction of an O2 Touch centre with a student delivery team running weekly sessions.
* One of the first institutions in the UK to run RFU's new 'X Rugby 7's' initiative
* The club winning 'Club of the Year' and shortlisted for 'team of the Year' at the 2018 Students' Union Sports Awards.
In preparation for the new 2019-2020 academic year, in line with the RFU's minimum operating standards and strategic priorities, the University of Essex is integrating all rugby provision - social/recreational, club and performance - into a more streamlined and coherent offer.
We are looking for a passionate, high performing and enterprising individual to join us in leading this new 'one team' approach and deliver on both rugby participation and performance outcomes.
The Role and duties
We are seeking a new, part-time Rugby Development Officer and Head Coach at our Colchester campus. The successful candidate will be responsible for delivering coaching to our Rugby 15s and 7s teams, assist with management of our rugby 7's scholarship students and plan, organise and deliver all rugby participation and workforce programmes for students at the University of Essex.
The post holder will work closely with the Rugby Football Union (RFU) as well as Essex Sport and Students' Union staff.
Qualifications and skills required
The position requires a suitably qualified person with a minimum Level 2 Rugby qualification, as well as other relevant experience coaching performance-level rugby teams. You must possess excellent leadership and communication skills to build strong relationships with students and external bodies. You must have excellent knowledge and understanding of safeguarding principles and legal requirements. Importantly, the position requires enthusiasm and flexibility, ability to work independently and under pressure and a commitment to continuous professional development.