Coach Parker is a new Sport England funded, joint initiative between Our Parks, UK Coaching and BUCS. It aims to bring higher education and community exercise together by providing a free accredited Level 2 qualification, enabling coaches to deliver outdoor exercise on campus and in local community and outdoor spaces.
How is the Coach Parker programme delivered?
Selected BUCS member institutions will act as delivery centres for the 1st4Sport Level 2 Coach Parker course to take place. Each delivery centre will roll out a number of Coach Parker courses throughout the year and these will be available to their students and the wider community to access as a free qualification. Each course will consist of eLearning modules and a face to face practical and assessment day, delivered by a qualified tutor workforce.
Once qualified, the ‘Coach Parkers’ will be deployed in various ways to increase the provision of outdoor exercise within their communities, whether that is on campus or in their local community areas and green spaces.
What is a 'Coach Parker'?
The most exciting part of the project is the opportunity to become a ‘Coach Parker’.
Coach Parkers are the driving force behind ‘Our Parks’ sessions. These are group based exercise classes that take place in an outdoor setting, providing a free and fun opportunity for a diverse range of people to get active in their communities.
Absolutely anyone can become a Coach Parker. You don’t need any previous experience of delivering activities, just an interest and drive to get more people in your community physically active. The Level 2 Coach Parker course will enable those who qualify, to deliver outdoor physical activity such as:
- Outdoor group exercise circuits
- Outdoor group exercise bootcamps
- Outdoor group exercise HIIT sessions
- Outdoor full body weight fitness sessions
- General outdoor fitness sessions
We are pleased to announce the 20 institutions becoming Coach Parker delivery centres, making sport and physical activity more accessible across the UK.
- Canterbury Christ Church University
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Loughborough University in conjunction with De Montfort University and University of Leicester
- Manchester Metropolitan University in conjunction with University of Manchester
- Robert Gordon University
- Royal Holloway University
- Sheffield Hallam University in conjunction with University of Sheffield
- Ulster University
- University of Birmingham
- University of Brighton
- University of Central Lancashire in conjunction with Edge Hill University and Lancaster University
- University of Glasgow
- University of Huddersfield
- University of Leeds
- University of Northumbria at Newcastle
- University of Nottingham
- University of Roehampton
- University of Southampton
- University of Warwick
- Writtle University College
For more information on Coach Parker, please get in touch with Maddie Massey, BUCS Workforce Development Manager.