James Brownhill Memorial Fund (JBMF)
The JBMF set up by James’ family following his death on 1st July 2011, on the Frendo spur, Chamonix, France. It already provides bursaries to fund University Climbing Club voluntary leaders.
The fund aims to encourage and foster a higher level of safety, good practice and sustainability within university climbing clubs.
BUCS lends it’s support to this initiative as a simple way to generate return into clubs that take part in BUCS competitions and Championships. The Christmas & Greetings cards, produced by the JBMF, will provide additional funds for more bursaries.
The JBMF (www.jbmf.co.uk) currently provides 8 bursaries a year for voluntary leaders in University Climbing clubs; the balance of the course fees not met by the bursary comes from your club funds.
However the JBMF would like to make available ‘Additional Bursaries’ to University climbing clubs, for the next 2 academic years, without having to wait for the application process and without having to use club funds.
This can be achieved by the climbing club members buying a number of JBMF produced Christmas & Greetings cards. This will reduce the cost of the course to a few packs per club member and the additional funding will come from the JBMF. Examples of 2011 cards can be seen by following the facebook link from jbmf.co.uk.
Your Climbing Club simply needs to buy the specific number of packs (£5 a pack) of cards specified for each of the different types of course:
Mountain Leader Award (MLA)
Single Pitch Award (SPA)
Climbing Wall Award (CWA)
Climbing Wall Leader Award (CWLA)
Residential Courses - Plas Y Brenin N Wales.
• MLA (Course & Assessment) Course Cost £540 - Need to buy 50 packs (£250)
• SPA (Course & Assessment) Course Cost £210 - Need to buy 20 packs (£100)
• CWA (Training) Course Cost £205 - Need to buy 20 packs (£100)
• CWA (Assessment) Course Cost £105 - Need to buy 10 pack (£50)
• CWLA (Training & Assess) Course Cost £105 - Need to buy10 packs (£50)
Non-Residential Courses (Reading, Harrogate & Manchester Climbing Centres)
• CWA (Training) Course Cost £140 - Need to buy 15 packs (£75)
• CWA (Assessment) Course Cost £95 - Need to buy 10 packs (£50)
• SPA (Training & Assess) Course (Not Reading) Cost £140 each - Need to buy 15 packs (£75x2)
• CWLA (Training & Assess) Course Cost £95 each - Need to buy 10 packs (£50x2)
Let us know if you are interested in this initiative (firstname.lastname@example.org) as we would like to distribute the cards before Christmas 2012.
Last updated: 19th Sep 2012 12:34