British Universities and Colleges Sport Limited – http://www.bucs.org.uk
This Privacy Statement outlines the way in which the British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) gather and use information relating to you, the user of the BUCS site ("you"). For general terms and conditions for bucs.org.uk please read the Terms and Conditions
What information do we collect?
We collect personal information when you register, and subsequently use or visit the website, including any use of BUCScore (www.bucs.org.uk/bucscore) login areas. We also collect additional information automatically about your visit to our website.
For example we may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal data:
• information about your computer and about your visits to and use of this website (including your IP address, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views);
• information that you provide to us for the purpose of registering with us, subscribing to our website services and email notifications (including your name, your higher education institution, your email address, your preferences about BUCS sports, competitions and events and geographical location); and
• information that you provide to us for the purpose of entering BUCS competitions and events and viewing BUCS fixtures and league results;.
A "cookie" is a small text file which is either stored on the user hard drive, or in memory until the browser is closed, Cookies help tracing users from page to page on an internet site. They are generated by web servers when the user enters an internet page, and are passed to the user's computer and stored for subsequent future access.
We use both “session” cookies and “persistent” cookies on the website. We will use the session cookies to: keep track of you whilst you navigate the website; we will use the persistent cookies to: enable our website to recognise you when you visit. Session cookies will be deleted from your computer when you close your browser. Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach a specified expiry date.
Most browsers will allow you to turn off cookies. However, switching off cookies will restrict your use of the website. To view all the cookies in use on the BUCS website please click here.
Using your personal data
We may use your personal information to:
• administer the website;
• provide and personalise your browsing experience;
• enable your use of the services available on the website;
• send you general corporate communications;
• send you email notifications or newsletters which you have specifically requested;
• send you information via email regarding the BUCS sports, events and competitions you administer or have registered to compete in;
• provide third parties with statistical information about our users – but this information will not be used to identify any individual user;
• provide third parties with email contact details for the purposes of collating entry information for BUCS competitions and events;
• deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you relating to the website;
• for the detection of fraud and for market research purposes; and
• for other reasonable purposes, always acting within the limits of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
We will not without your express consent provide your personal information to any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing.
In addition, we may disclose information about you:
• to the extent that we are required to do so by law;
• in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
• in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention and reducing credit risk); and
• to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset which we are (or are contemplating) selling.
Security of your personal data
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
We will store all the personal information you provide on our secure (password- and firewall- protected) servers.
Of course, data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
You are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential. You can reset your password at any point by visiting the ‘my account’ area and answering some security questions or requesting your password be reset. BUCS will never ask you for your password.
You may instruct us to provide you with any personal information we hold about you. Provision of such information may be subject to the payment of a fee (currently fixed at £10.00).
By registering for the BUCS website you authorise BUCS to store and use your data. The level at which BUCS can use your data can be tailored at registration and at any point by visiting the ‘my account’ area by adjusting your preferences. By registering for the BUCS website you automatically opt-in to the BUCS Life termly online magazine, which you can opt-out at any point by visiting your ‘my account’ area. You may instruct us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes by email at any time by contacting email@example.com or we will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of receiving all subsequent emails via the log in areas.
Your data may be sent to BUCS from your university for the purpose of competing in BUCS events or championships. BUCS may use this data for the business purposes, including:
- Using your information / data to enable you to compete in BUCS Championships/ competitions. This includes information that directly links to the eligibility for the competition (such as Date of Birth, Age, License numbers etc).
- Use your email address to send you a welcome email to BUCS that allows you to subscribe/ register to the site and opt-out of all communications if desired. This can validate your email address and allow you to receive event specific communication
- Use statistics from your data to ensure BUCS events are run better for students in the future. Allowing BUCS to shape the website for better communications.
BUCS will never use this personal data for non-BUCS events or sporting competitions without your prior approval or consent.
Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
The BUCS website intregates with social media sites, namely facebook.com, to allow exisiting users of those platforms the chance to discuss, comment or share information on the BUCS website.
BUCS takes no responsibility for any registrations on Facebook that have been a direct affect from BUCS.org.uk.
Any comments or articles expressed using any Facebook plug-ins on www.bucs.org.uk are not the opinions of BUCS and are solely an opinion shared by a user of the BUCS website. BUCS reserves the right to remove any comment, block Facebook users from using the facebook integration areas on the BUCS website or ultimately report any users to Facebook if any user comments any inappropriate comments. The nature of these inappropriate comments include, and not exclusive:
- Any bullying or threatening behaviour to a club, team or individual.
- Any bad language (including those that fall outside of the facebook inappropriate words).
- Any mentions or references to excessive drinking associated to a BUCS fixture, club or team.
- Any sponsor / commercial message deemed to be either:
o directly conflicting any pre-exising BUCS sponsor or advertiser
o benefitting from the BUCS website traffic without prior agreement
Embedding League Tables
BUCS allows owners of websites the opportunity to embed specific league tables into their websites. BUCS can, at any point, withdraw the service of embeddable content. Any organisation deemed to be using the league tables for commercial or increased traffic reason (deemed outside of the business sector (ie non Higher Education Institutions)) will have the code disabled – prior authority should be sought from the BUCS Commercial team on 02076335080.
BUCS retains all IP and ownership of content that is embedded on other websites.
The code is provided free of charge for website owners. The code should be used as given and any manipulation, editing or removing of certain code or code lines is forbidden and any website found as doing this will be barred for using the code and reported to the appropriate bodies.
Any dealings or contact with advertisers or suppliers found on the website including the purchase of goods and services, are solely between you and such advertiser or supplier. BUCS shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as the result of any such dealings.
If any of the personal information which we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated, for example if you change your email address, or if you wish to amend your request, you can do this (if registered) via the ‘my account’ pages on the BUCS website or please let us know the current details by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The data controller responsible for our website is British Universities and Colleges Sport, 20 – 24 King’s Bench Street, London, SE1 0QX
Last updated: 21st Sep 2012 11:20